Thursday, September 8

Old Books: Knitting Books


This is a category that I'd like to expand!  I have a few older knitting books, but not many.  The good news is, there are a few old classics that are being reprinted these days.  However, I have found a few gems:

Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting.  I'd wanted this book for quite a while, and had almost ordered the reprint.  Then we were at our favorite "farm supply" store poking around in a used book room they have, and wonder of wonders...there was a copy of this book for $1.  (Yes, that's one dollar.  I think I squealed.)  I haven't even scratched the surface of this book yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Alice Starmore's Fisherman's Knits.  Another bargain find, this time for $3.  Once again, full of information, patterns, charts....but most of all, ideas.

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitter's Almanac.  You can't spend a better $7 or $8 bucks.  This book has classics in it:  February Baby Sweater, Nether Garments (I love that name), Mitered Mittens, Pi Shawl, etc.  Really...if you knit, you should own this book.

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Workshop.  What can I say...it's Elizabeth Zimmerman. EZ.  This book is loaded with knowledge.  If you want to be a better knitter, a smarter knitter...get yourself this book.  Learn from the best.

Stephanie Pearl McPhee's Knitting Rules.  While not exactly "old"  (It came out in 2006.) this book is a classic.  This is the book that made me love knitting.  Really.  The Yarn Harlot has such a love for this craft that it can't help but come through.  It's one of those you read and re-read.

Knit on.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...