Tuesday, July 17

Recipe : Refrigerator Pickles


I came up with this recipe last year when I made some pickles with our cucumber harvest.  My husband loves them and so do I!  I usually slice them into chips, but they could just as easily be spears.  If I have 6 cups of cucumbers, I can usually fit them into 3 wide-mouth pint jars.



Tasty Refrigerator Pickles

6 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
1 cup thinly sliced white onion
1 1/2 cups sugar (preferably organic evaporated cane)
1 1/2 cups vinegar (cider or white, preferably organic)
1/2 teaspoon real salt
1 2" piece of cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf

In each jar place:
1 clove garlic
1 allspice
2 cloves
3 peppercorns
1/4 tsp. mustard seed
1/8 tsp. turmeric
pinch of celery seed

Place the cucumbers, onion, cinnamon & bay leaf in a large bowl, set aside.  Combine vinegar and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  Cook and stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Pour over the cucumber mixture and let cool.  Spoon the cucumbers into the jars and cover with the liquid.  Seal and place in the refrigerator for about 48 hours before serving.

Delicious!  Give them a try.

Do you have a favorite pickle recipe?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...