Monday, September 19

The Library


I miss the library of my youth.

We go to our local library just about every week. The one we go to was built, oh I don't know, maybe 12 years ago. And while I enjoy it (because, you know, I adore books), going to the library is just not the same as it used to be.

I loved the library when I was a girl. First off, it was q-u-i-e-t. You know I love that. People didn't have cell phone conversations, or just plain conversations, in the library. You went there to read. An actual book.

I still love looking through the books. One of the nice treasures of life is finding a book you want to read that you didn't even know about an hour ago.

I'm not sure when libraries became more about videos and games, internet and meetings (or maybe it's just mine, but I kinda doubt it), but I miss the old feeling. I miss the heavy wood tables and chairs, the huge card catalog, and the library card that had a metal plate on it. I remember how privileged I felt when I got my library card. Like I'd been entrusted with the safe keeping of a vast treasure. Which, in a way, I had. You respected other people's space and they respected yours.

The stack above are some recent favorites, including Circle of Quiet (I just love that title) by Madeleine L'Engle.

One of the things I do love about today's library is the book sale room! I've found quite a lot of knitting magazines over the years, as well as some great books. All but one of the books pictured above were bought in the book sale room. As a matter of fact, I'm currently reading another book sale purchase...Imagine (How Creativity Works) by Jonah Lehrer. Fifty cents, people. Add a little yarn, a cup of tea, and it doesn't get much better.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...