Wednesday, October 31

MIY Recipes : Elderberry Jelly



I'm one of those "I'll just make it myself" kind of people.  We don't buy a lot of convenience foods or prepared foods, since I enjoy cooking and baking.  So much of the grocery store these days is filled with foods that are just as easy to make yourself.  The benefit being - you know what's in it, and maybe more importantly - what isn't in it.

So with that thought in mind, I'll be sharing a few of my own MIY (Make It Yourself) recipes.  

Let's start off with something simple that makes a lot : Jelly.  Specifically, elderberry jelly.  But it could be another flavor if you don't have elderberry juice.  Grape, pomegranate, cherry, cranberry, etc.  But the elderberry is delicious, and good for you, to boot.


Elderberry Jelly
Makes 6 half-pints

3 cup elderberry juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 box powdered pectin

4 1/2 cups of sugar 


Sterilize your jars in simmering water.  Put your lids in a small saucepan and pour boiling water over them off the heat.  Meanwhile, begin heating your water bath canner to a boil.  Have a teapot with boiling water ready as well. 
  
In a tall stockpot, mix the elderberry juice, lemon juice and pectin.  Heat until at a rolling boil (which cannot be stirred down).  Add the sugar and bring back to a hard boil for 1 minute.  Watch carefully, as it foams a lot. 
  
Ladle the jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.  Wipe the rims of the jars clean with a soft towel.  Place lids and rings on the jars, and process in water bath canner for 5 minutes.  Remove and let cool.  You should hear a "ping" as the jars cool and seal.  Leave undisturbed for 24 hours.

Check for a good seal.  Remove rings and gently wash and dry the jars.  Label and store in a cool, dark place.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Hi - I have found your lovely blog via Ravelry. I look forward to keeping up with your posts - it looks like we have quite a lot in common! Oh I so wish I could make patterns, I seem to struggle by with scribbled notes on scraps of paper!! Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops I do apologize, I entered a wrong url on my comment - must be tired lol - try again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...