Friday, September 14

Yarn Love : Sock Yarn

Last week I did a little review of several cushy sock yarns I've knit with in the past, and how well they've held up over time.  This week, I'm giving some attention to some of the more "affordable" sock yarns I've used, worn and loved.

Now, I'm basically a frugal sort of girl.  So, I usually have a fair amount of this type of sock yarn in the stash.  It doesn't put a huge dent in the wallet, but you still get a great pair of socks.  It's also great for adding a contrasting toe or heel, which my husbands likes on his socks.

1)  SR Kertzer On Your Toes 4ply with Aloe Vera        2) Brown Sheep Wildfoote Luxury Sock Yarn
3)  Patons Kroy Socks 4ply           4) Knit Picks Stroll Solids     

SR Kertzer On Your Toes 4ply with Aloe Vera
I bought a skein of this yarn on a whim, wondering if the aloe vera thing really worked.  Well, to my mind it certainly did.  These socks have held up amazingly well.  There is no fuzz or halo on these socks.  They still look as good as the day they were finished, and they are super comfy to wear.  The color selection is more to my liking with solids and heathers.  I have a lovely sage green and a charcoal grey heather in my stash.  It's a wee bit on the skinny side compared to the cushy sock yarns, but I can still get a good fabric on size US 1 (2.25 mm) needles, which is my standard sock knitting needle size.
Specs:  75% Superwash Wool, 25% Nylon
Put up:  100g
Yardage: 390 yards (357 m)
4-ply



Brown Sheep Wildfoote
This is a lovely yarn offered in a lot of colorways.  I believe they have 45 colorways...that's a lot.  When I first knit with this yarn, it seemed a bit "dry" in my hands as I was knitting with it.  But the finished product is absolutely lovely.  This yarn give a nice drape, and makes for a very soft sock.  My husband's pair of socks still looks perfect.  They look so good in fact, that I just bought the yarn for another pair of socks for just $13.00.
Specs: 75% Superwash Wool, 25% Nylon
Put up:  50g
Yardage:  215 yards (197m)
4-ply


Patons Kroy Socks 4ply
This yarn is a classic.  It is reasonably soft and very hard wearing.    I can get 2 balls for $10 in my area, making it one of the most affordable sock yarns around.  My pair of Hedgerow Socks is knit in this yarn, and they are the warmest socks I have.  I've knit several pairs of socks in this yarn.  The downside to this yarn is the color selection.  They used to have a great selection of solid or semi-solid colors.  But they've gone to mostly striped and ombre colorways, which are not my favorites.  If you like stripes, you're set.  But regardless, it is a very durable and comfy sock yarn.
Specs:  75% Superwash Wool, 25% Nylon
Put up:  50g
Yardage: 166 yards (152 m)
4-ply

Knit Picks Stroll    (used to be called Essential)
This is a very, very soft yarn.  It comes in a lovely array of colors and it is a very reasonable price.  It's a soft, plump yarn to knit with, and I've made a few pairs of socks with it.  After a few washings, my socks have all developed a fair amount of fuzziness.  The are still in good shape structurally and they wear well, but if you dislike fuzz, you probably won't enjoy this yarn in the long run.
Specs:  75% Superwash Merino Wool, 25% Nylon
Put up:  Solids/Heathers 50g, Tonal 100g
Yardage:  Solids/Heathers 231 yards (211 m), Tonal 462 yards (422 m)
4-ply

(As an aside to my little informal reviews here, I always wash my superwash socks in cold water in the washing machine.  My non-superwash socks get hand washed.  I do not tumble dry any of my socks, but let them air dry on a drying rack.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...