Thursday, September 6

Yarn Love : Cushy Sock Yarn

1) Mountain Colors Bearfoot                    2)  Woolen Rabbit Harmony Sock
3)  Miss Babs Yummy Sock 2-ply                              4) Madeline Tosh Sock
I love a good sock yarn.  I tend to prefer a fat sock yarn, and I've found a few over the years that not only knit up cushy and comfy, but have held up under weekly use.  So, I thought I'd do a little mini-review of some of my favorites:


Mountain Colors Bearfoot
This is a seriously warm yarn.  The mohair in this yarn makes it very cosy and warm.  It has a tiny bit of halo in the skein, and that blooms in the finished sock over time.  These socks are quite fuzzy at this point, but they are going strong.  I'm not sure you could poke a hole in these, much less wear one in them.  They seem to just bond together over time into an almost solid (but soft) fabric.  If you are looking for an industructable, if fuzzy, pair of socks...this may be your yarn.
Specs:  65% Superwash Wool, 25% Mohair, 15% Nylon
Put up:  100g
Yardage:  400 yards (366 m)


The Woolen Rabbit Harmony Sock
At the time I bought this, it was the most I had spent for a single skein of sock yarn, which at the time was about $30.  The price seems to have dropped now to $23.  It is worth it!  This yarn still looks exactly the way it looked when I finished the socks, almost 3 years ago.  It is soft.  It is strong.  It is bouncy and plump. And the colors are beautiful.  In fact, I'm wondering why I don't have more of this yarn in my stash.  I think I'll pop over to The Woolen Rabbit and buy some!
Specs:  80/20 Blend of Superwash Merino and Nylon
Put up:  100g
Yardage:  400 yards (366 m)
3-ply


This was a skein I picked up on vacation in Washington DC.  I got it at Fibre Space in Alexandria, VA.  Even though it is only a 2-ply yarn, it has worn like iron.  My husband wears these socks every week and they still look great.  The socks have the tiniest amount of halo, but the stitch definition is still very defined, and there are no fulled or worn areas.  At a generous 400 yards, you have plenty of yarn for tall guy socks!
Specs:  100% Superwash Merino
Put up:  100g
Yardage: 400 yards (366 m)
2-ply, spun in the USA

Another beautiful 100% merino yarn.  This yarn is wonderfully drapey - if you're considering using it for lace, but it makes a lovely sock too.  Another 2-ply with a tight twist.  This yarn has a wonderful sheen to it, and the colors are, of course, delicious.  I haven't gotten as much wear on this one, but so far, it still looks terrific.
Specs:  100% Superwash Merino
Put up:  100g
Yardage:  395 yards (361 m)
2-ply

All of these sock yarns are comparable in price, between $22-28 a skein.  They all have a wonderful array of colorways.

Next week, I'll do a mini-review of some more affordable sock yarns that I've knit with over the years.

Do you have a favorite cushy sock yarn?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...