Friday, August 31

Untidy (but Woolly)


I just finished spinning this batt.  It was my first time to spin from a batt (instead of top or roving).  I'm a little conflicted.  I love the way the batt looks : the colors, the texture, the furriness.  And I'm pretty fond of the resulting yarn.  The actual spinning of it, not so much.  It felt...untidy.  Anyone who knows me knows I like tidy.  I'm a naturally organized person.  I've had more than one person accuse me of alphabetizing my spices (I don't...just so ya know.  But it's not like it's a terrible idea).  

So far, in my spinning life, I've spun basically smooth, worsted style yarns.  And I reeallly like them.  I like the organized and tidy way you draft out the same amount of smooth fiber each time.  It's soothing.  It's pretty.  It's me.


So, spinning this batt was really a walk on the wild side for me.  I really thought the yarn would be wildly thick-n-thin, with super fuzzy spots and smooth spots.  Very "un-same" throughout it's length.  But it's not.  It's really not.  I mean, yes, there are thick and thin stretches, but not as extreme as I pictured.  


So, there you go.  It may be a while before I spin another batt.  But, I will...when I'm feeling wild and woolly.

Fiber Details:
Antsy Fancy Fine Fiber Batt by Cordova Studios
Colorway : Toast and Jam
Fiber : Wool, Silk & Angelina
2 3/8 ounces

Yarn Details:

155 Yards
Spun mostly short forward draw worsted, with a few stretches of long draw woolen.
14 wpi / mostly worsted


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...