Monday, August 20

Books for Creatives

I love books.  Especially books about creativity and the creative process.  And it's a big bonus when you run across a book review by a blogger who is also creative!

Wild Olive reviews Blogging for Creatives on her blog.


Leslie at A Creative Mint gives us a peek at Mastering the Art of Fabric Printing and Design.


And I know I've seen a review for A Field Guide to Fabric Design.  I just wish I could remember where I saw it!  But I found another good one here.


I think my wish list just grew by a few books!

One of my favorite books for encouraging creativity is Artist's Journal Workshop by Cathy Johnson.  I got this book last year and it's chock full of inspiration to get your creative juices flowing, as well as exercises to sharpen your creative skills.  Whether you draw, paint or stitch...there's a lot in here to help you organize and develop your own creative process.


The book is divided into 5 chapters:  Getting Started, Test Drive, Exploring Journals, Journaling Lifestyle and Pulling it all Together.  Throughout, there are examples of many artist's journals, pages, materials and sketches.  It's chock-full of tips and "try this" exercises to give you something to jump off from.


One of the biggest hurdles I had to overcome was the fear of "messing" up my sketchbooks.  I had to get over the idea that everything in my sketchbook had to be perfect, beautiful and to scale.  It helps a lot if you can think of your sketchbook as your practice book that occasionally has a finished idea in it!


This book shows you various styles, methods and media.  You are sure to find something to inspire you!

What are your favorite books for creatives?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...