Friday, May 11

Part 6 : The Organized Woman's Guide - Personality Plus



This series is about discovering time you already have that maybe you just aren't using as wisely as you could.  I decided to do this series because I've learned some things that work for me, some things I'd like to improve upon, and some things I still need to learn!

Whether you want more knitting time, time to spin, crochet, paint, or read.  There are sure to be some tips and techniques you can use for better time management.


Personality Plus

I'm currently reading a book called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.  It's a fascinating read.  Especially as I am firmly planted in the introvert camp.  And I love reading about people who identify with my personality traits.  (And, no surprise, I love reading!)   But it's got me to thinking about Introverts & Extroverts as it applies to knitting.

We all have our preferred place and time for knitting.  And I believe that whether you are an introvert or extravert has a definite affect on those things.  Do you like to knit alone or in a group?  Do you prefer complex patterns or quick and simple things?

What's Your Personality?

If you're not sure which side you fall on, you can take a quiz.  And remember, it's a sliding scale.  Some folks are very introverted, others just a little bit.  You might be a gregarious, bigger than life extrovert.  Or just someone who enjoys people.  Or maybe you're an ambivert - a balance of both.

Where you fall on the scale can determine your preferences for an evening of knitting.  Introverts usually prefer to knit alone or in very small groups, where they can focus on what they are doing.  I know I prefer to knit in my usual spot with my husband and my dog for company.  I don't enjoy knitting while trying to watch TV or a movie.  I love listening to music, usually being played by my husband.  This is a great way for me to recharge my batteries.

On the other hand, extroverts enjoy having a social evening with a lot of knitters talking and sharing what they're working on.  They get energy from these evenings.  They can enjoy sharing their work process and how they did something a certain way.

Quiet and Deep, or The Life of the Party?

Some of the traits of introverts include:
  • Enjoy solitude
  • Have a rich and deep inner thought life
  • Prefer one-on-one conversations to group activities
  • Prefer not to show or discuss their work with others until it's finished
  • Can concentrate easily and enjoys complex tasks

Some of the traits of extraverts include:
  • Enjoy group activities
  • Fluent communicators
  • Comfortable in group settings and enjoy being the center of attention
  • Easily volunteers personal information or shows work process
  • Can become easily bored


Double the Benefit

Introverts and extroverts can benefit from each other.  Your introverted friend may be able to help you with that complex lace pattern.  While the extroverted designer puts out a series of entertaining and helpful tutorials on the basics of knitting.  So, be true to who you are.  Neither is better than the other, and we need both types in our lives. 

But don't feel like you need to "act like" the extrovert ideal that our culture celebrates if you are naturally introverted.  As Susan Cain says in her book "You're told that you're 'in your head too much,' a phrase that's often deployed against the quiet and cerebral.  Of course, there's another word for such people:  thinkers."

Be Yourself

So for me, I enjoy going to a fiber festival every now and then.  Hanging around other fiber people.  Talking, looking, comparing.  It's a fun day.  I just don't want to do it every weekend.

You'll usually find me in my living room, in my favorite chair, curled up with a cup of tea and my latest project...something in lace these days.  Happy and content 'in my own head.'

Are you introverted?  Extroverted? 
How do you most enjoy your knitting time?

1 comment:

  1. Although two years behind in reading your blog, I had to comment on this post - I began reading that same book last year (didn't finish, library loan and looming grad party!), and am most decidedly in the introvert camp. The social connections I enjoy most are those centered around creativity, and find a richness in them that can sustain me for weeks. Then I start wondering if I shouldn't be out more, shouldn't be more connected, and so on. I appreciate the reminder to enjoy the peacefulness of being who I am.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...